Wednesday, April 9, 2014

10 Foods That A Nutritionist Always Has In Her Freezer

People often think that eating healthy takes way too much planning and preparation. Either they hate grocery shopping every week or don’t feel as though they have the time to do so. Luckily, the freezer can make your life much easier.

Here is a list of what nutritionist, Kristy Rao, always has in her freezer to ensure that she's eating healthy even when she doesn't have enough time to go to the farmers' market:

Frozen fruits and vegetables


This is key for always being prepared to make a smoothie, even when you haven't been to the grocery store in a while. One great thing about having frozen fruits and veggies on hand is that you often won't even be able to find the same organic fruits or vegetables unfrozen. I freeze ripe bananas myself and buy bags of raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, spinach and kale. In the summertime, I tend to have leftover watermelon, which I also freeze in chunks.

Ezekiel bread and muffins


Since I dont eat bread often, I keep it frozen. I take out a couple of slices or muffins at a time depending on how much I feel like having, so that the rest remains fresh. I choose Ezekiel bread because it's made with sprouted grains and beans and is fully organic. Although there's still gluten in this bread, it's still easier to digest than traditional bread.

Homemade popsicles


All you have to do is purchase BPA-free popsicle molds, blend up your favorite smoothie, and pour it into the mold to freeze. I recommend sweetening with honey or organic agave syrup.

Juice or coconut water ice cubes


I will fill my ice cube trays up with organic coconut water and freshly squeezed orange or apple juice to throw into my smoothies for sweetness. The orange cubes are also great to put into a glass of water for taste.

Organic, gluten-free waffles


I typically make my own and freeze for a rainy day, but you can also purchase these. They're one of my favorite treats for breakfast.

Oat and spelt flour


I never use white flour. These are great alternatives, and are best kept in the freezer to keep fresh.

Acai


I love making smoothies with unsweetened acai berry packs, and usually use half a pack for a smoothie.

Coconut ice cream


This is one of my favorite not-so-guilty pleasures, because you can get organic, non-dairy and low glycemic coconut ice cream. It's perfect for a treat that won't make you feel terrible!

Blue-green algae


I know it sounds scary, but blue-green algae is extremely good for you, and you won’t even taste it in your smoothie!

Dark chocolate


How could I possibly risk running out? I always buy an organic bar with 70% or more cacao content.


No comments: